1st Communion Cake with Rosary and Chalice

I really love how this cake turned out. I came up with 3 sketches for my husband’s coworker who had an 8-year-old daughter that wanted me to make her 1st Communion Cake….I was so honored and with only a week’s notice and a trip to DC in the middle of it, I couldn’t resist. Luckily, she picked my 1st and favorite design so I was super excited about making it. The cake was a 9” round white almond sour cream cake filled with white chocolate mousse, covered in white chocolate Ganache then marshmallow fondant.
I made the chalice using a little plastic cup as a mold and the stem was made into 2 separate pieces. Once it was all dry, I dusted the chalice in pearl luster dust to give it some shine. I also filled the chalice with 3 Communion Bread’s made from gumpaste.
The pink and white blossoms were made with a 5 petal cutter in 3 different sizes. I used a diamond candy mold to hold each blossom as they dried….worked perfectly. Once dried, I dusted each with luster dust in both pearl and pink.
My favorite part was the Rosary that wrapped around the entire cake. I piped each bead with royal icing then painted them with pearl luster dust. I had not done any type of swag design before and worried about the spacing of each section being even so I drew up a template to help me get everything perfectly and evenly placed around the cake (I do admittedly confess that I am a bit OCD-ish).
The cake sat over a square baseboard covered in a very light pink fondant and adorned with a pink ribbon. I also added some blossoms to the board to dress it up a bit. I was extremely happy with how beautiful the cake turned out and hoped she enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed making it…couldn’t help but think back to my 1st Holy Communion and at how special that day was.
I did remember to take some step by step pictures of the cake being covered in Ganache which I’ll post later. I love working with Ganache so much better than buttercream under fondant…It also tastes divinely delicious!
Update:  Here is my blog post about Covering a Cake in Ganache with recipe

20 comments

1. Chris says:

Loved your cake.. I would like to make chalice.. Did you use fondant? May I have recipe for homemade marshmallow fondant ..I am covering the top of a bible
    Book Communion Cake.. Would you suggest Using ganache underneath? Also placing grapes on cake ..
    Thinking of one demensional chalice .. Flat chalice on cake .. With host above it .. Thank you Chris

• Angela says:

Hi Chris. Yes, I did use fondant for the chalice. The recipe for MMF is under a different post (bit.ly/RedMMFReicipe). You can either use ganache or buttercream for the crumb coat depending on what you are most comfortable with. Ganache does make the structure of a carved cake be more stable and I personally love using ganache under fondant.

2. Anonymous says:

This cake is beautiful! I would love to recreate the rosary just like you did on 2 communion cakes that I have to do this weekend. can you share with me how you created the template for the top of the cake? Im doing an 8″ round…thanks in advance!!!!

• Angela Tran says:

Since the rosary is broken up into 5 sections with 10 beads in each, I used a star shape to help divide the cake up evenly into five then drew an arch that fit inside each section and evenly broke that down into 10 – You can see it in one of the photos posted above. There may be an easier way to do it that that is how I did it.

3. Angela Tran says:

The chalice is made out of MMF mixed with Tylose Powder which essentially turns it into gumpaste. The cup portion was molded over a plastic cup that I dusted with corn starch to keep it from sticking and then hand molded the stems as you can see in one of the photos above. Let each piece dry overnight then attached it all together with a little bit of piping gel and dusted it all with pearl luster dust. HTH.

4. Angela says:

Thank you! I used the star shape on the top to divide the cake evenly into 5 so I could line up the template for the side arch perfectly (you can see the side arches have gaps between each one for the flower and strand). I’m sure there’s a better way but this made sense to me. And for the writing, I print out the lettering in the size, font and arch needed and trace it lightly over the cake. Then very carefully and patiently pipe RI over it using a moist brush and toothpick to move and shape each strand into place perfectly.